Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Best Western is neither the best nor western. Discuss.

That was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. My bathtub had just been painted (who knew people paint bathtubs, seriously?) and my entire room smelled of paint fumes. I asked to change but that complex was completely sold out and I wanted to stay near the 92 Italian kids that we were in charge of. So I opened the window (the only window) in my room that allowed a solid 2 inch aperture to "air out" my room. Of course, the bathroom was the furthest room from the window. Productive. I think I stayed in my room a total of 4 hours anyway that night, since I stayed with one of my coworkers who got sick that night. Jeff's room essentially didn't have a functioning bathroom, with a toilet that didn't flush and a shower drain that didn't drain. Dianna's room smelled like moldy cheese, some of our keys stopped working. You get the picture.

By the way, Dirty Jobs on Discovery Channel-- love that show. I fell asleep watching it and subsequently had a dream I was cleaning out a trommel. (Look it up.) It was strangely cathartic.

Orlando. Lord, what is there to say about this city? The part where most people stay is called International Drive (ie, the people that come for the theme parks.) It's just chock full of hotels, semi-fast food restaurants (ala TGIFs, Applebees, Toni Roma's, etc etc etc), ghetto convenient stores, and unkempt 99 cent Disney souvenir stories.

Although one thing that was a cool site: Wonderworks, if only for the architectural design alone (we didn't actually go in, just passed it while on the bus.) It's one of the few (if only) upside-down designed buildings in the world. It's worth a look.

0 comments :